Sunday, February 3, 2013

Balenciaga, Shame On You





















Friday, I took what I like to call an 'aromatic interlude' in my day. This means that what was supposed to be a little stroll in the sunshine turned into a mini sniff-a-thon at Nordstrom and Sephora.

Balenciaga perfumes have always been hit and miss for me, but I quite enjoy the 2010 release, Paris, and wanted to try the line's two new releases, Florabotanica and Paris L'Eau Rose.  Of course, with Kristen Stewart as the face of Florabotanica, I expected a fruity floral blend targeted at young women fantasizing about their vampire lovers. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On a scent strip, Florabotanica had an herbal vibe that piqued my interest.  I asked for a sample so I could try it later on my skin while enjoying a glass of wine on Big Red.  Same with Paris L'Eau Rose.

Honestly, I don't even remember the last time I scrubbed off a perfume, but Florabotanica drove me to it.  Usually, I can wait for the drydown first, but not this time.  Screechy and sharp, Florabotanica fails miserably on my skin.  With a top note strong as ammonia, I cannot imagine an occasion for which this perfume is appropriate.  A huge outdoor wedding would have everyone sniffing the air and asking, 'what stinks?'  

Paris L'Eau Rose is less awful, but mind-numbingly dull.  Imagine all of the Escada summer fragrances layered on top of one another.  Next to L'Eau Rose, even Juicy Couture La La is a perfume of substance, a thought that keeps me up at night.

At this point, I simply hope that some time will pass before Balenciaga releases any more perfumes. At least long enough for the memory of scrubbing to fade.

images from theentertainmentlifestyle.com and mimifroufrou.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joan - not sure what I was hoping for, but neither of these worked for me. Sometimes it's enough if a perfume is just interesting, whether or not I like it. Florabotanica failed even at that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails