Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Accidental Christmas Traditions


Tradition is not my thing.  In fact, I feel trapped by it and consider it another example of group-think.  

Any holiday discussion that includes, 'because that's how we've always done it' makes me want to run.

The problem with tradition is that it compels us do stuff again and again, like robots, without thinking.  Then, if we decide not to do it, say, because we dread it every year and it makes no sense whatsoever, we feel like the one who broke the chain letter.  

Bad, bad things could happen. 

But just because I'm dissing tradition, that doesn't mean there aren't a few things that I find myself doing year after year at Christmas time:

1)  Dithering about how to make Christmas meaningful.  Still hoping to figure this out one day.

2)  Angsting about whether or not to give gifts, and to whom.  Where does one draw the line?

3)  Buying perfume for myself.  This is always meaningful.

4)  Finding creative ways to decline private party invitations from my staff.

5)  Discussing with B-man the degree to which we will decorate the house.  Each year is different.

6)  Considering a Christmas Eve service - for nostalgia sake - then talking myself out of it.

7)  Making a double batch of my very own fudge recipe to give away.

8)  Eating fudge until I hate it and vow never to make it again.

9)  Going to my sister's house on Christmas night to drink wine, dance to Livin' La Vida Loca and celebrate together.

10)  Feeling grateful that another year will pass before the next Christmas rolls around.

What are your accidental Christmas traditions?

Picture from savannahtheatre.com

8 comments:

  1. When I was a kid, my father always read the classic baseball poem "Casey At The Bat" instead of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". I loved this precisely because it made no sense to anyone but us....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, that sounds like a great tradition. Just like I don't know why Ricky Martin's Livin La Vida Loca makes sense for Christmas, but, weirdly, it does.

    Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yams. Definitely yams.

    And chicken fingers. Traditionally, I make them for Christmas Eve dinner and some are leftover for Christmas, but we frantically cook all Christmas day instead. This year, we're going to eat chicken fingers and wings for Christmas, too.

    And It's A Wonderful Life. We used to go to see this on Christmas Eve at the grand, grand Stanford Theater in Palo Alto; now we show it to friends in our garage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ChickenFreak! Mmm, chicken fingers and wings sound amazing. So does a movie in your garage. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. replica goyard bags hop over to this web-site w2r29i6o82 replica bags replica bags replica hermes bags f8r88k2x98 replica bags in gaffar market visit this page j6k88w4o13 replica gucci bags replica bags wholesale india

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails