Sunday, April 24, 2011

This Year's Easter Perfume



My Easter perfume is different every year.  Perhaps that's because I'm different every year (B-man loves this trait, but it sometimes drives me crazy).

Last year, my Easter perfume was an accidental layering success of Tea Rose and Sur le Nil.  Applying Tea Rose as a refresher perfume after wearing Sur Le Nil all day, I realized they were perfect together. 

Easter was also the first time our family had been together for a holiday since Mom died.  We were all stunned and very blue without her.  

Easter was one of her favorite times, and because she was religious, she loved the juxtaposition of the Resurrection and springtime. A year later, Mom's absence is still felt so strongly. 

Today, we are not all together, but chose instead to do our own thing in our own way.   B-man and I spent yesterday with Dad, helping assemble his new gazebo (courtesy of Big Sis), and watching Paige run around chasing her toy hedgehog and, of course, Gator.

My weekend, so far, has been scent free.  Daphne wanted time to reflect on perfumes of the season.  Even though I am not wearing perfume on my body, I have indulged in sniffing today.

The following perfumes are runners up in the Easter Perfume of the Year (I have disqualified both Tea Rose and Sur le Nil because even the best pageant winners reign only once):

Hiris by Hermes - this rooty iris bulb captures the earthy, chalky smell of spring, and the essence of new iris blossoms.  Unfortunately, it lacks the prettiness that must exist in an Easter perfume.

La Chasse aux Papillons by L'Artisan - a beautiful, airy-fairy tuberose perfume.  Completely lovely and unobtrusive.  However, it needs more 'pop' to be a true Easter contender.

Narcisse Noir by Caron - Orange blossom and incense goes nicely with the religious service that might accompany Easter.  But it's too heavy to accurately reflect the light innocence of the season.

Eau du Soir by Sisley - Certainly bright and hopeful, but a little too sharp-edged to extend the universal invitation of Easter.

So, what is my Easter Perfume of 2011?

Rose Essentielle by Bvlgari - Just the right blend of rose, raspberry, and tulip greens to perfectly represent this special holiday.  Plus the sillage and lasting power are tremendous (meaning 'perfect,' not 'monster').

Rose Essentielle puts Easter in my heart and makes me think of Mom.  Then I want to smile...just because.

What is your Easter perfume this year?

image from slowtrav.com

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry for your loss, but grateful you can think of her and smile. Thanks for the support. Know it comes back to you across these digital impulses in equal measure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails