Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Me, The Cowgirl Wannabe


I've never been on a horse.  Ever.

Dad hates horses.  He calls them 'crow bait,' although I was never sure, as a child, exactly what that meant.

Honestly, it's not much clearer now.

I suspect that, growing up, Dad had a scary experience with horses and learned to fear them. To justify never going near a horse again, he simply decided they were wrong for a variety of reasons; they smell, they're unpredictable, whatever.

He had his reasons.

And yeah, horses smell, but they're supposed to.  Daphne kind of likes it (fur, sweat and the outdoors with just a hint of ass - think Paloma Picasso Mon Parfum), but then she loves the smell of burnt microwave popcorn and helicopter exhaust, too.

My hospital is hosting a Leadership Retreat in June at a swanky resort in the mountains.  After brain-washing us with motivational psychobabble, we have an afternoon of activities to choose from.

Photography, jewelry making, hiking, a scenic tram ride and horseback riding.

Just thinking of riding a horse scares the hell out of me and, at the same time, gives me that roller-coaster whoosh feeling in my stomach. 

Crow bait be damned.  I'm signing up tomorrow.

image from customwallgraphics.com

7 comments:

  1. Go for it! I bet it will be amazing!

    I have never been on a horse myself, but this summer I am determined to go riding. Please let us know how it went!

    PS: To get yourself inspired for riding, I suggest reading Tarleisio's post "A Lively Afternoon"

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoanElaine, thanks for your encouragement! I will report back on my adventure and definitely read Tarleisio's post. Always good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've been on a horse exactly once. The Horse People matched my horse incompetence with a nice safe bored horse, and all was well. If, y'know, that's any reassurance. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails