Friday, May 13, 2011

An Unexpected And Sweet 'Boss Moment'



This week has been rough, with employee discipline issues back-to-back.  Rumors, questions and outrage on the part of hospital staff followed.

Bound to confidentiality, I am unable to explain the repeated complaints and conversations that accompany a formal disciplinary action or termination.  

Typically, it takes months to complete.

However, to the uninvolved observer, it appears that I had a wild idea in the middle of the night, got up on the wrong side of the bed and took it out on the world by firing someone's ass.

I only wish it were that easy.

Friday could not come soon enough.

This morning began with a regular meeting with one of my direct reports.  She updated me about her department and I provided some follow-up information to questions she raised last week.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

About an hour later, as I was finishing a document in my office, she stuck her head in the door and said, 'I love that you're my boss - just wanted to let you know.'  Then, she was off.

Wow, did I need that today.

image from india-forums.com

3 comments:

  1. Being in management is not for the faint of heart some days it seems like the day can't end fast enough. Glad you got some moral support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi taffynfontana - it was lovely to get a small piece of validation, especially this week. It's also easy to see why people often shy away from leadership...a thick skin is required. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails