Monday, October 25, 2010

Found By Vintage


Vintage perfume has always freaked me out.

What if I can't find it?
What if I find it, but the juice has turned?
What if I find it, and love it, but can never find it again?

Well, remember my day at the farm with Dad?  After gathering all sorts of smellie treasures there, we went to an antique store in town that carries a specialty line of soap made from goat's milk and shea butter.  

Dad knew that I would appreciate the variety of aromas in the form of bar soap, lotions, shower gel and balms.

While I was lost in soap sniffing, Dad was doing his own wandering through this maze of a store, and we met periodically to assure each other that we were about ready to go.  Still, we kept meandering.

Then, it found me.

Vintage Wardrobe de Corday Collection
 Bourjois Evening in Paris cologne stick, perfume and cologne

After a quick sniff, it was clear that the Corday perfumes were in great shape.  Evening in Paris had never been opened, so I bought it unsniffed and sealed, fascinated by the packaging and the cologne stick inside.

Playing it all cool - like it didn't matter to me one way or the other - I negotiated a great price for buying both.

It was all I could do to keep from twirling.

We're looking forward to going again.

Me and Dad sharing a chat Saturday night on the deck

Picture at top from vintageperfume.com
Other photos my own

10 comments:

  1. What gorgeous finds!! When I see things like this for sale in vintage stores, I always think "Is this for sale? It can't be. Why wouldn't they keep it for themselves?"

    I would love to hear more about each individual scent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, oh, oh, how exquisite! I never come across vintage scent in our antique shops - and we don't have estate sales over here, unless that is just the same thing as an auction?, not that I go to those anyway... I will keep my eyes peeled in future though - those boxed sets are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, congrats! I do hope you let us know how the Corday scents are, I'm intrigued by them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So incredible! I'd love to smell those vintage scents. It's like a moment frozen in time. One sniff and you're instantly transported back in time. It's sweet to see how close you and your father are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JoanElaine - I know what you mean! At any moment, I was afraid the shop owner would realize what she was selling and opt to keep it for herself!

    I will return with descriptive treats about these perfumes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flitter, they are beautiful, arent they? I never go to estate sales or auctions either, too lazy, I suppose. The best part of finding these perfumes was the serendipity of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muse, hello! I, too, am anxious to try the Cordays in earnest and report on them. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charna, thanks for your comment! You are so right - they are like a moment frozen in time. I'm anxious to try them when we can really spend the evening together...

    Yes, I am very lucky to have such a sweet dad.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails