Thursday, September 29, 2011

Here I Come To Save The Day


Do you ever find yourself desperately trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed?

Last weekend, my aunt died, leaving just one remaining sister on my mom's side of the family.  My initial thought, upon hearing the news, was 'I want to go to the funeral.'  

By the next day, however, this thought had subsided, especially since I knew my brother, his wife and Baby Sis were planning a quick road trip to attend.  Dad was trying to decide whether or not to go with them.

Somehow, I convinced myself that the drive would be way too hard on Dad.  So I decided I would fly down and take him with me...you know, to save the day.

Like Underdog.

Except I didn't want to go.  

All day Monday, I dithered about what to do, and worried about how Dad was going to survive a road trip to Phoenix.  Even though Baby Sis assured me she would pamper him, and they would stop often on the way, I couldn't let go.

That evening, I sat through a late meeting at work and just let my mind wander.  There, in a sea of people, I came to know that I didn't need to save Dad at all.  He would survive - and maybe even enjoy - the road trip.  

All I needed to do was get out of the way.

Of course, I had to lecture my brother about driving safe and slowing down and making his passengers feel comfortable and blah, blah, blah, until he said, 'jeez, what a buzz kill.'  

But I just had to say it.

According to Baby Sis' last text, they have almost reached their destination.  And all is well.

I can put my cape away.

tylerquillin.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails