How often do you hear people say, 'perfume just doesn't last on me?'
What I often discover, after asking a few questions, is that people often under-apply perfume, expecting one or two squirts to last all day.
Over the years, I have learned - through trial and error - how to apply perfume so that it lasts and creates the perfect level of sillage without being overbearing.
Note: I prefer spraying perfume and find dabbing annoying for so many reasons. However, the following tips - and the principles behind them - may be just as effective for dabbing application.
Josephine's Recipe for Lasting Perfume Power and Perfect Sillage
- When wearing a new perfume, give it a 'test run' at full body application before wearing it in public. This will familiarize you with its strength and sillage and you will learn exactly how it interacts with your own skin. Adjust future application up or down accordingly.
- Apply perfume within five minutes of showering. Your pores are open then and you'll get more lasting power. Plus, this gives your perfume time to dry down between the moment you apply and the time you reach your destination.
- As a general rule, I apply 8 sprays for appropriate sillage and lasting impact. Front, back and sides of my neck, then wrists and inside each elbow. If I know I'm going to be in a large, outdoor space, I may add an additional spritz right below my breasts.
- If perfume has monster sillage, cut the number of sprays in half. But don't wimp out altogether.
- Position the bottle approximately 12 inches away from you before applying perfume. This allows the perfume to land evenly, and broadly, on your skin.
- Breathe in and hold your breath while you are applying your perfume. Walk out of the 'cloud' before inhaling again. Otherwise, the perfume will burn your nose and you will have a distorted perception of the sillage you are producing.
- When applying to the front of your neck, make sure you don't hit the area right under your chin. Again, this will irritate your nose and make you feel like the Sillage Monster From Hell. Aim down a bit.
- When attending a wine tasting or a dinner, reduce the number of sprays in half and wear an eau de toilette that is citrus, herbal or green. Not floral.
- If you're going to be in an early meeting, in a confined space, apply less perfume with the expectation that your sillage will diminish earlier in the day. A small decant in your purse can provide a nice refresher mid afternoon. Usually, one spritz is enough.
- When layering perfume, spray each ( not more than two) on different areas, not on top of one another. For example, spray the front and back of your neck with one perfume, and the sides with another; one perfume on your wrists, another inside each elbow.
- Be thoughtful about the occasion, the weather, your wardrobe and your mood when choosing a Scent of the Day. The right perfume is the perfect start to your day!
What are your secrets to perfume application?
Image from cult-beauty.blogspot.com