Monday, August 8, 2011

Just Chillin' On A Monday


Last week, I asked for advice from my boss' boss, our almost new CEO.  Never do this if you're having one of those hormonal days where a commercial for Lays potato chips makes you cry.   Do it on an equally skewed day when you think you're All That.

Honestly, up until now, I've rarely received valuable feedback at this job - even when I've asked for it.  That's because, in pediatrics, we specialize in being nice.  We love everyone's children, smile as we walk down the hall and live by Thumper's Rule:  If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.

'Oh, everything's great, you're doing great, we love what you're doing!'  Honestly, it gets annoying.  I don't need my ass kissed.

Well, not constantly.

Now, our leadership has changed, and a new openness abounds.  Everyone's all glasnost, which means information is transparent and the chain of command went down the toilet.

I like the chain of command.
 
Braced for the same dog and pony show I usually get when I ask, I posed the question to our soon-to-be CEO: 'Do you have any global advi...'

'Just relax,' she blurted out before I could finish my question.

Huh??

She continued, 'You can be a little formal at times, and everyone wants to know they're working with a real, down-to-earth person.'

Wow.  Stunned by her honesty, and relieved to get real information from someone I respect, I simply said, 'thank you for letting me know.' 

Today was not so different from any other day.  I testified in a court case, had a successful pep talk with one of my struggling teams and helped a mother who was crying in the hallway.  

Several times, I thought back on the advice to 'just relax.'  If today is any indication, Mondays are going to be fun again.

image from bethelderlcsw.com

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post! How refreshing when someone will give you feedback you can actually believe. It made me laugh because you write so smart and I enjoy it very much...I look forward to your take on life. You are a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mermaid, thanks for your kind comment. It is nice when someone will simply be real about giving honest feedback. Yours always means a lot to me. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails