Friday, May 14, 2010

Face This


If you love Facebook, you may want to stop reading right here.  

I resisted signing up for years - has it been around for years? - because everything I heard about Facebook made me think it was a study in shallowness.  

Dumbed down.  Pedestrian.  

B-man had to sign up to receive The Washington Post and the LA Times.  Well, to get the good version, that is (all the pictures and in-depth articles).  No coercion there.  Turns out, he actually enjoys it, reconnecting with high school friends before his class reunion next year.  I don't get class reunions, either, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, fearing that I was missing out on the Best Thing Ever, I signed up.  Turns out it is shallow.  Dumbed down.  Pedestrian.  Mind numbing, really.

God knows, I want to love it.  I have tried to love it.  Perhaps it is best suited to extroverts.  You know, people who befriend waiters, make conversation in the grocery line and love small talk, cocktail parties and fund-raisers. That is so not me.

Give me someone's thoughts, their obsession, their musings, their intelligence.  But please, save me from meaningless chit-chat. When did we become Twitter Nation?  It's embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails