Thursday, July 8, 2010

White Aoud and the Moody Nose


Reading this blog, you will find contrasting opinions about Montale's White Aoud (like this).  We have a tumultuous relationship and it smells different to me every time I wear it.  

Come to think of it, I have a love-hate relationship with the entire Montale line.  And I'll be damned if I can leave them alone.

Today, I have an important one-on-one meeting, so I think carefully about the SOTD. Whatever I wear must communicate intelligence, warmth and a bit of drama, just in case the meeting takes an unexpected turn.  

For some reason, I choose White Aoud over regular crowd pleasers like Kelly Caleche, Jardin en Mediterrannee, Rykiel Woman or even Burberry Brit.   

(Yes, I know, Brit is quite pedestrian - and a fruity/floral for chrissake - but I get so many positive comments each time I wear it that I continue to whore myself.)

Every morning, B-man walks our dog, Paige, while I'm getting ready for work.  When he comes back in the house, he takes a deep breath and tries to guess which perfume I have chosen for the day.  Next to reading the paper and chatting over coffee, this is our favorite morning ritual.

At first, I'm afraid White Aoud is a mistake because the top notes have a sour, diaper tinge that is killing my morning mojo.  B-man might walk in and say, 'what smells like pee?'  Thankfully, he returns to amazing heart notes of aoud wood and vanilla surrounded by the secondhand smoke of menthol cigarettes.  
 
Yum.

Today, White Aoud delivers. Next time, however, I reserve the right to have a completely different experience.

I'm naming my nose Sybil.

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I love that you look for a work perfume with a touch of drama just in case the meeting goes there! That is pretty badass.

    What a sweet morning ritual! I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit is my favourite fruity-floral of the non-niche variety and I have a little bottle of it just when I want to smell nice and not think about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wood and vanilla - i don't know more than that :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LBV! A touch of drama is almost always appropriate in my world.

    It appears you have many lovely rituals in your life as well.

    Thanks for your great comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ines, I'm glad you're a fellow Brit wearer. I like it but don't find it very interesting. But, boy, is it ever a crowd pleaser!

    You said it just right - Brit is perfect when I don't want to think about anything.

    Hope you and your boyfriend are doing well and healing after your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bellatrix! White Aoud does have a lot of wood and vanilla - you're right!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails